From Rookie Chat to Wormhole Space: The Beginning of My EVE Online Journey


I cannot remember exactly how I first came across EVE Online. What I do remember, very clearly, is watching a YouTube video about the Battle of Asakai.

I was completely fascinated.

Thousands of players. Massive fleets. Real losses. Real consequences. It did not feel like just another game. It felt like history being written by the players themselves, one explosion at a time. At that moment, I knew I had to try it.

After that, I started consuming every EVE trailer, battle report, and player story I could find. The more I learned about New Eden, the more I wanted to become part of it.

Unfortunately, real life had other plans. I was still in training, and after that, I had to complete my mandatory military service.
So EVE became something I postponed, a reward I promised myself for later.

Looking back, it was a reward worth waiting for.

On December 13th, 2014, my first character was born, thanks to a buddy code I had found on the official EVE forums. My first few days were, to put it mildly, rough.

The tutorial was confusing, the user interface was overwhelming, and I constantly found myself asking questions in Rookie Chat, trying to understand what all those buttons, windows, skills, modules, and strange abbreviations actually meant.

Fortunately, the EVE community lived up to its reputation for helping new players who were genuinely trying to learn. Whenever I got stuck, somebody was willing to explain a mechanic, point me in the right direction, or save me from making an even bigger mistake.

Even then, it was obvious that EVE was different.

I was overwhelmed by its depth, intimidated by its complexity, and completely captivated by the possibilities hidden behind every menu, every ship, and every system.

My First Lesson in Trust

The player who had shared the buddy code on the forum had made an interesting promise. He claimed that if someone used his referral link, he would return the reward he received. Back then, that reward was a single PLEX, equivalent to what would be 500 PLEX today.

By that point, I had already spent countless hours reading stories about EVE's infamous scammers, con artists, opportunists, and thieves. Frankly, I did not expect to ever see that reward.

And yet, when my trial period ended, the PLEX actually arrived.

To this day, that was probably my first real lesson about EVE's community: it could be just as generous as it could be ruthless.

Unfortunately, my next lesson came almost immediately afterwards.

The First Expensive Mistake

Being the cautious and supposedly organized new player that I was, I decided that all my valuable belongings should be stored together in one station. At the time, this seemed like a sensible idea.

So I loaded the PLEX into my small, unprotected hauler and set off.

Jita to Hek. What could possibly go wrong?

The short journey ended in Urlen and it also marked my first appearance on EVE's killboards.

My hauler exploded long before it reached its destination, and with it went my plans, my cargo, and a fair portion of my dignity. The only consolation was that the ganker did not get the PLEX either. It was destroyed in the attack and vanished forever into the cold darkness of space.

Barely a week after creating my character, I had suffered my first major loss and earned my very first entry on zKillboard.

Oddly enough, it did not discourage me. If anything, it made EVE feel even more real.

Every warning I had read was true. Every story about player-driven risk was true. Actions had consequences. Mistakes mattered. Losses mattered.

And because losses mattered, achievements mattered too.

Learning New Eden One Mistake at a Time

I spent my early months running missions in Minmatar space, slowly learning the game one mistake at a time. Along the way, I learned far more than just game mechanics. I learned about the culture of EVE and the people who inhabit it.

The player from the buddy program continued helping me, answering questions and sharing knowledge. Before long, I found myself joining their voice comms and getting to know the people behind the characters.

It was a small but highly dedicated group. Everyone was friendly, and most of them were genuinely hilarious. A little group of space nerds. How could you not like them?

The more involved I became with the community, the deeper I fell into EVE Online’s endless rabbit hole. More importantly, the friendships I formed with this small group tied me ever closer to both the game and the people who played it.

As it turned out, that rabbit hole was more literal than I expected.

The group I was chatting with had set up camp in what was a real rabbit hole. They lived in wormhole space.

Deep within Anoikis. Hidden behind unstable connections. Far away from the comfort of stargates and predictable routes. In wormhole space, Local chat offered no warning, and every new connection could lead anywhere.

Life there required knowledge, experience, and a willingness to accept risks that still seemed almost unimaginable to me. While I was comfortably flying missions in the relative safety of Metropolis, they spent their days navigating the unknown. Every new connection could reveal opportunity, danger, riches, or disaster.

It sounded exciting.

It also sounded terrifying.

For a long time, I was not ready. My skills were not ready. My knowledge was not ready. Most importantly, my confidence was not ready.

Leaving behind the security I had grown accustomed to and betting everything on the unknown felt like stepping off a cliff into a dark, endless void.

But eventually, that void became impossible to resist.

Moving Into the Unknown

Armed with my first proper scanning frigate, naturally fitted with a cloaking device and a set of Sisters Core Scanner Probes, I packed up my belongings and made the journey into a C4 wormhole system.

I had no idea whether I was truly prepared for wormhole life. To be honest, I did not even fully understand the wormhole mechanics yet.

All I knew was that there were no stargates, no easy routes, and that getting my stuff back out could become very difficult if wormhole life turned out not to be for me.

But I also knew something else.

I wanted to fly with the people who had helped me discover EVE.

If they could survive out there, maybe I could too.

My destination was a POS, an old player-owned starbase, that belonged to the friends I had made during my journey through New Eden. And just like that, I left known space behind.

I still remember the first time I saw my tiny frigate sitting safely inside that POS shield, although I did not yet understand how important that moment would become.
The familiar stargates were gone. The stations were gone. The safety of well-traveled routes was gone. There was no Local chat to tell me who was nearby, no simple autopilot destination, no obvious way home.
Everything depended on scanning.
Every cosmic signature mattered. Every new connection could be an opportunity, a threat, a trap, or a way back to civilization. The universe suddenly felt bigger, darker, and far more alive.
Of course, moving into that C4 did not instantly make me a wormholer. At first, I was mostly quiet, cautious, and probably more nervous than useful. I scanned, listened, tried to understand the chain, and slowly learned what it meant to live without Local, without stargates, and without certainty.
My directional scanner became my best friend, my warning system, and probably my most abused button.
Even today, I am convinced my D-scan button still bears the scars from my wormhole years. It remembers the abuse, and it will never forgive me for what I did to it in the years that followed.
D-scan. Again.
D-scan. Again.
D-scan. Again.
If nothing was on scan, that did not mean I was safe. It only meant that nothing had revealed itself yet.
That was one of the first true lessons wormhole space taught me.
In known space, danger often announced itself.
In wormhole space, danger waited silently.

My First Taste of Wormhole Space

Wormholes have a way of forcing you to act before you feel ready.

My first zKillboard entry from wormhole space came in October 2015. The target was a small explorer.

And man, I wish I could properly describe how that felt.

Today, a kill like that would barely trigger an emotional reaction. It is just an explorer. What could possibly happen?

But back then, it felt surreal.

My heart was pounding like crazy. My hands were shaking. My mind was racing with a dozen thoughts at once.

Is it a trap?

Is my damage output enough?

Is my tank enough?

What if someone else lands on grid?

All those thoughts and feelings hit me at the same time.

The entire fight lasted only a few seconds. Then came the beautiful little blink of the killmail arriving in my inbox.

It was over almost instantly, but the feeling stayed with me. It was intense, chaotic, and absolutely unforgettable.

A truly unique EVE moment.

That first kill was not impressive by EVE standards. It was not a grand battle. It was not some legendary victory. It was just a small explorer dying somewhere in unknown space.

But to me, it felt enormous.

It was not about the value of the ship. It was not about the loot. It was not even really about the killmail.

It was about the realization that I was no longer just reading stories about EVE.

I was becoming part of one.

Every warning I had heard about wormhole space suddenly made sense. Every cautious voice on comms, every habit, every repeated scan, every bookmark, every nervous pause before jumping a hole. It all mattered.

The unknown was no longer something I watched from a distance.

I was living inside it.

Under the POS Shield

Still, when I think back to the moment EVE truly changed for me, my mind does not go to that first killmail. It goes back even earlier, to my tiny frigate sitting under the POS shield for the first time.

I still remember sitting there, watching that small ship float quietly inside the forcefield, surrounded by this strange and unfamiliar new home. Around me was nothing familiar. No station. No stargates. No easy way back.

The known universe was behind me.

I had crossed a line without fully understanding what waited on the other side.

I did not know what was going to happen next. I did not know if I would succeed out there. I did not know if wormhole life was truly for me.

But I knew I had arrived.

In that moment, EVE Online stopped being just another game.

It became an adventure.

An obsession.

A second home among the stars.

Looking back now, I often realize that I never really got hooked by the ships, the ISK, or the skill training.

What hooked me were the people, the stories, and the feeling that every single jump through a wormhole could lead to something completely unexpected.

The moment I left known space behind and sat under that C4 POS shield was not the end of my beginner journey.

It was the beginning of everything that followed.

Comments

Popular Posts